RE: Log Buffer

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:46:03 -0800

Hey Kevin,

My Oracle Perf Tuning instructor suggested doubling the LOG_BUFFER until the requests get under control. Problem is that each bump requires a reboot. Since ours was severe enough, I went from 1MB to 4MB. When that wasn't enough, I went to 12MB. This is over the course of almost 12 months, due to uptime requirements.

This is fine unless your rego log files are in contention with other datafiles (archives, datafiles, controlfiles) in the database. A larger LOG_BUFFER may help, but it's just a workaround for the underlying problem.

For now, our whole shmear is on an HP AutoRaid. I know, I know. It seemed like a good idea at the time (before Oracle training). I'm seeing LGWR write times up to over a second at peak. Not only that, but even with a LOG_BUFFER of 12MB in a 500MB total SGA w/175 users, I'm getting almost 3000 redo space requests per week. Ouch.

Oh, to be able to use Loney's 15-drive setup. Hell, I'm not asking for 22!

BTW, I'm on 8.0.5.2.0 on HP/UX 10.20. Next week is HP/UX 11.0, with 8.1.7 and an extra RAID0 for my redos to follow. Yay!

Good luck!

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com