Re: Single Code Table or Separate Code tables dilemma

From: Michael Netrusov <mn_at_g-fax.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:07:16 -0800

> Preface: I am a developer!
>
> If the DBA wants to have 10000 tables, no skin off my nose. A generic
> maintenance form and LOV form for a set of tables all with the same format
> is not that huge a task.
>
> The best developer argument AGAINST a centralized code table is that
> eventually someone will request an enhancement that adds functionality to
> one of the codes beyond a simple code/description table. This means the
> codes have to be pulled out of the central code table and created as a new
> table with the 3 flags and 5 coded fields to support the new functionality.
> The DBA work on that is easy, but then the developers go hunting in all the
> existing program code that hits the code table (haystack) to find all the
> places where that program code is actually using the code in question
> (needle).

Well, in the case of 100 tables you are still hunting all the code looking for pieces which are relevant to that changed table. Depends on your code. I prefer to encapsulate mine, so reference to a table is enclosed in its own package.

> If I were starting a product from scratch and there was a central code table
> I would probably code against a set of views in anticipation of the above
> event, so the DBA ends up creating 10000 objects anyway.

Views consume resources and bring new dependencies, so the administration becomes more complicated.
What is your point? If somebody makes a change request, youl still will have to change your code. If you are adding columns and prefer not to change the existing procedures, add a new procedure ( with the same name ) which works with new attributes.

> On the other hand:
> 1. Everywhere I have worked, there has been a central code table of some
> sort.
> 2. In all cases that code table was put in place by the DBAs, not the
> developers, because they didn't want all those tables and were not really
> hung up on referential integrity that the application was enforcing anyway.

As Steve pointed out, it's just a matter of preference. A few years ago I prefered multiple similar tables vs one master lookup.. Now I implemented the opposite approach and I am happy with it. Less code ( packages consuming memory ), less database objects to administer.

Regards,
Michael Netrusov
www.atelo.com

Author: Michael Netrusov