Re: Single Code Table or Separate Code tables dilemma

From: Michael Netrusov <mn_at_g-fax.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:16:29 -0800

> at last i convinced my duhvelopers to go for individual tables.

Probably they were just unaware of how much code they would have to write. DUHelopers are easy to convince - they just have no brain. Developers have. :-))

:-) In this case you have dependencies. I would create multiple tables there.

> > State abbreviations too? What about valid city/state/zip code
> > combinations
> > which you can get from the U.S.P.O.? At what point are
> > validation/lookup/rules data not in the master code table and
> > how do you
> > decide?
>
> i blive every logical entity should hv its seperate physical presence.

I think if logical entities differ from each other only a couple of attributes, they should go into one table.

> but then every solution is an "Engineering Compromise". So i wont mind some
> give and take. but its fun to have an occasional fight with a duhveloper.

Yeah, a duhveloper might consider it's fun to write 10 packages which differ only by name and a couple attributes.
Later he might claim that he wrote 10K lines of code ( instead of 1K ) and worked hard. :-)

Regards,
Michael Netrusov
www.atelo.com

Author: Michael Netrusov