Re:RE: Migration from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:47:11 -0800

Mary,

    We run several DB's on 8.1.6 (HP-UX 11.0) with no problems. Listeners run just fine for months at a time, especially if you set "logging_listener = off". One other item that I remember from the 7 to 8.0 migration was a suggestion from Oracle to "exp system file=/dev/null full=y" after completing the migration. That forced all rows to be read by the database which updated the rowid's. The point being that if you did not do it now, the DB would do it automatically whenever the rows were accessed, which could slow some stuff down.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Ruiz; Mary A (CAP; CDI)" <Mary.Ruiz_at_gecapital.com>
Date:       3/22/2001 2:22 PM

Dan:
  What kinds of problems ? I am beginning a migration of a hybrid OLTP / OLAP database from 7.3.4 to 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 We are planning to take 6 weeks to "clean up" the
database and fix the chained /migrated rows before we migrate (mainly on the big tables). We will spend a month testing on a migrated copy before migrating production. Our apps
are custom Powerbuilder apps. I decided to go to 8.1.5 because our other databases are 8.1.5, and just live with the fact I cannot import a table from a multiple-table export.
(that bugs me to no end) I am most interested in responses to this post. Maybe some truly compelling reasons to go to 8.1.6 , although I heard about hanging listener problems
with that version which scared me.

thanks in advance,
Mary Ruiz / Atlanta

Author: Ruiz, Mary A (CAP, CDI)
  INET: Mary.Ruiz_at_gecapital.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 09:47:11 CST