Re: Somewhat OT: Db2 Vs Oracle

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:27:23 -0800

listed is an interesting quote from the "DB2 Magazine Email Newsletter: Volume 2, Issue 3"

"DB2 TCO: Two studies weigh in on total cost of ownership

Two independent surveys, one by research company D.H. Brown Associates and another by consulting company Yevich Lawson & Associates, evaluated IBM's DB2 and Oracle 8i on terms of various factors that impact total cost of ownership (TCO), including database administrator efficiencies, manageability, performance, and pricing. Both reports found that over a five-year period, IBM's customer costs were much lower in each category than Oracle's, primarily because Oracle's mandatory unlimited user license policy costs three to five times more than IBM's Web-based data management. For instance, the D.H. Brown study found that businesses that run DB2 have a 52 to 81 percent lower cost of ownership than those who run Oracle's database. To keep costs lower for mainframe users, IBM recently entered the DB2 tools and utilities market with a spate of reasonable priced tool packages. To read more about DB2 utilities, see "Powering Up: DB2 Utilities," by Richard Yevich, in the Qu! arter 1, 2001 DB2 Magazine (db2mag.com/db_area/archives/2001/q1/yevich.shtml). "

The company can only spend so much before they have to downsize to offset the outlay. ROR mª¿ªm Know of any openings in the Orlando, Fl area???????

>>> brian_wisniewski_at_yahoo.com 03/22/01 12:20PM >>>
Due to price only (ANYONE FROM ORACLE LISTENING????) my current client is considering moving to DB2(UDB?) from Oracle. They really don't have much of an investment, if any in Oracle (startup using licenses from parent co.). Now that they see how expensive Oracle will be they are reconsidering their initial thoughts of DB vendor.

The employee DBA is freaking out, I'm looking for a new assignment anyhow so I'm really not bothered by this at all :) He is looking for completly biased opinions about why Oracle is a better choice than DB2 and I don't have any experience to say one way or the other. My answer of "I've heard UDB is a pretty good product" didn't seem to do much for him.

If you would care to respond off the list to me I'll gather the responses and give them to him.

Thanks - Brian

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
Author: Brian Wisniewski