Re: EMC TimeFinder, and EMC TimeFinder vs Hot Standby

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:50:55 -0800

Yeah, that's it, Business Continuation Volume. The client site I was at was going to use that for a daily cold backup, and leave it disconnected for use as a "reporting" database. It was going to be a poor man's data warehouse. Not the best idea, but a method to at least get started. The plan was to re-synch in the early evening, then do the whole shutdown, detach, startup, backup process again. I do remember one flaw in the plan was that you couldn't have a second database instance on the same server accessing the BCVs because the disk addressing would conflict with the mirrored disks, so they needed a second, smaller server to mount the BCVs to for handling the second reporting database. The server involved was IBM AIX. I believe HP has the same limitation. Dunno if the limitation is server based or if it's a general disk addressing issue.

>>> ThaterW_at_telergy.net 03/22/01 08:15AM >>> jkstill_at_cybcon.com wrote:
>
> Ok, does someone one to define SRDF and BCV for
> those of us that don't have any idea what you're
> talking about?
>
> Jared

BCV stands for Business Continuation Volume, in essence an extra mirror of a volume that can be snapped off to use for backup or reporting uses when mounted on another server.

[eeeppppp... i just answered a question from the List God(tm);-)]

--
Bill Thater      Certifiable ORACLE DBA
Telergy, Inc     thaterw_at_telergy.net
Author: Thater, William