RE: RMAN Backup and Recovery

From: C.S.Venkata Subramanian <csvenkata_at_lycos.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:58:05 -0800

 Hi, In one of our production site, I implemented RMAN backup and recovery scripts. I did the following way.

Take a full backup using RMAN, the following things will be backed up datafiles,Archive logs files, controlfile. I didn't use the catalog database. I used the database's controlfile instead. After this for next 6 days take incremental backup ie archivelog files and control files.

Once in a week(lets us say Sunday) we are taking a full Database online backup. From Monday to Sunday incremental backup.

Let us assume that my db crashes on thursday. I restore the full database backup from Sunday and start applying the incremental backup till wed and the rest of logs that are generated(provided they are there) then my I can bring the database upto the point where it had crashed.

This particular method was tested and it is successfully running in the production site. The DBA now in the production site has managed to take the incremental backup twice a day(early morning and late evening) he schedules them & copies the files from the disk to tapes and keeps them.

Recovery depends what type of failure u face. In this db controlfiles,redolog files are mirrored from OS. The load is easily distributed.It has four HDD controllers with a combination of RAID 0 and RAID 1, with MSCS in WinNT.

RMAN saves time and disk space.
If we use the traditional Oracle backup utility(ALter tablespace tbl begin backup) we need the exact space that is occupied for Datafile.

If we integrate with Media Management software with RMAN, then u can directly write into tapes.

--

Get 250 color business cards for FREE! at Lycos Mail http://mail.lycos.com/freemail/vistaprint_index.html -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).