RE: dbms_obfuscation package

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:07:07 -0800

It could be that there is no public synonym for the package (check DBA_OBJECTS to see if the package exists), or it could also be that the package has not been created in your database. There are many "builtin" packages that are only created when you run the script that specifically creates the particular package.

Most scripts are in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin , so you could find the source code for a particular package with grep $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/*.sql dbms_obfuscation

Some packages/tables might be in other sub-directories (e.g. $ORACLE_HOME/md ) so if a search in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory yields no results, you could try

find $ORACLE_HOME/*/admin/*.sql -name "*.sql" -exec grep -l dbms_obfuscation {} \;

It is left as an exercise to the alert reader to determine which command(s) should be used on other operating system(s).

By using the first UNIX command mentioned above I found out that dbms_obfuscation_toolkit is created by $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmsobtk.sql

You should also know that, in my experience, the SQL scripts in the $ORACLE_HOME/*/admin directories should almost always be run as SYS. Check the comments at the beginning of the SQL script to see if any special "run instructions" are provided.

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive