Re[2]: Re: SUN vs. HP

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:00:20 -0800

I'll try here to answer two posts at the same time thereby saving a little.

HP-UX is the most close to pure Unix I've seen in some time. My experience with Solaris is very thin and although it appears very stable I think there are a number of commands that just don't work like the standard says their suppose to.  It's a SUN thing and I won't hold it against them. Linux and HP are very close although HP provides more short cuts via aliases. Compaq's old Ultrix (actually DEC back in those days) was an animal all to itself, there's no comparison as only the core was there, but not totally. I've a book of standard Unix commands as recognized by ANSI and I haven't found one on HP that does not work as advertised, although HP many times provides a shortcut like 'll' instead of 'ls
-al'.

As far as 32 vs. 64 bit, if your on one of the older machines, before the L class, then your pretty much stuck with 32 bit. You can, I understand, load the 64 bit OS, but it recognizes the machine and installs itself in 'emulation' mode which is "slower than molasses running up hill in Anchorage in mid December". But I do notice that the 32 bit version of HP-UX 11.0 does allow some changes long sought, namely more memory access and large file sizes.

If you've got one of the newer L, N, or best of all V class machines then the 64 bit stuff REALLY cruises. And yes exp and imp run full 64 bit too here.

MC ServiceGuard is a product that HP touts as their 'fault tolerant' solution. Basically you install a second network card into the box dedicated to ServiceGuard on two or more machines and create a private network with some Ethernet thin cable. One machine is designated as the MASTER and the others are standby slaves. All of the boxes have to have some shared disk space. The idea is that the MASTER puts out a heartbeat via the private network every so many seconds. As long as the slaves see the heartbeat they go on about their normal business, whatever that may be. If the heartbeat disappears for two or more time intervals the PRIME slave or the slave if you only have two computers, immediately shuts down and reboots, assuming the identity, disk drives, and tasks of the MASTER. The switch over process takes about 30 minutes. As an aside ServiceGuard also provides the facilities of MC Lock Manager which is required to use Oracle Parallel server. This utility provides disk file locking between two or more computers that share disk drives. It's expensive to say the least, complicated to setup, and can get temperamental if the environment is not noise clean. On the other hand it really does work.

Dick Goulet

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 17:00:20 CST