RE: 1/2 control file failure - will database halt?

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:56:17 -0800

So you
don't bring the DB down and then copy the controlfile?  You just copy it?  Just curious
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Kev

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
[mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Koivu, LisaSent:
  Wednesday, March 21, 2001 4:02 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: 1/2 control file failure - will database   halt?
  Dana,
  The database will spit errors.  I found as long as you   are only reading data and not trying any DDL or stuff like that, for the most   part the database will continue to run.  As the DBA, if you rush in and   copy one of the control files over to where the missing one was, the database   will continue running. Remember, no changes will be allowed that will write to   the control files - this will fail because Oracle wants to write to every one   of them, and if one is missing, nothing gets changed.    This helps if you can't just bring down your database (like   me).
  I tested this a couple of weeks ago.
  HTH Lisa
  -----Original Message----- From: dana