RE: multiple instance

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:51:51 -0800

Do you want to test Oracle Parallel Server by having two OPS instances accessing the same database on the same server? Or do you want to have two instances accessing two different datbases on the same server?

I hope that it's the second situation because it's probably easier, and that's what I can tell you how to implement. :)

The current instance is determined by the value of the Oracle environment variable ORACLE_SID. You can set ORACLE_SID to be a new value. Then for a new database, you will need to do the following. (The directories I choose are not necessary but I think follow Oracle's OFA guidelines.)

Let us suppose your new ORACLE_SID will be db_test

  1. Create an initdb_test.ora in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/db_test/pfile
  2. Create a soft link in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs to the init.ora file ln -s $ORACLE_BASE/admin/db_test/pfile/initdb_test.ora $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
  3. Set your ORACLE_SID to db_test EXPORT ORACLE_SID=db_test
  4. Run svrmgrl. connect internal and startup. Issue your create database statement. for example: connect internal startup nomount CREATE DATABASE db_test
     logfile
     group 1  ('/u01/oradata/db_test/redo/redo_spcmgr_test01a.log',
               '/u02/oradata/db_test/redo/redo_spcmgr_test01b.log') size 5M,
     group 2  ('/u03/oradata/db_test/redo/redo_spcmgr_test02a.log',
               '/u04/oradata/db_test/redo/redo_spcmgr_test02b.log') size 5M
     MAXLOGFILES 32
     MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
     MAXLOGHISTORY 1
     DATAFILE '/u05/oradata/db_test/data/system01.dbf' SIZE 100M
     MAXDATAFILES 254
     MAXINSTANCES 1
     CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
     NATIONAL CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1 ;
  5. Run catalog.sql
  6. Create other tablespaces (temp, rollback, data, indexes, users, tools)
  7. as user SYS (e.g. after a connect internal in svrmgrl), run catproc.sql, catexp.sql, other procedures you think you might need from $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
  8. Change passwords for user SYS and SYSTEM - change their temporary tablespace to something other than the SYSTEM tablespace
  9. If you are planning on using SQL*Plus, run as SYSTEM from inside SQL*Plus $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/pupbld.sql and if you want to use the HELP feature in SQL*Plus run from the OS $ORACLE_HOME/bin/helpins
  10. Add you database to /var/opt/oracle/oratab (the file used by $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart and $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbshut)
  11. Add your database to listener.ora if you are running a listener

That's all I can think of but I'm sure someone else will remember something I forgot. I usually create the following directories in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/db_test :

directory name - purpose

bdump - for background_dump_dest
cdump - for core_dump_dest
udump - for user_dump_dest
pfile - for initSID.ora and configSID.ora files. I then create a soft link for the initSID.ora file in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
create - for logs of the create statements

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive