RE: DBA Job at a Chocolate Factory

From: Armstead, Michael A <maa25681_at_GlaxoWellcome.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:09:46 -0800

Great question!

I had an opportunity to work at the Longaberger Basket factory. They hand-make baskets that are sold through multi-level marketing, like Avon and Mary Kay Cosmetics. The factory is very nostalgic. The company is the only company in the one-horse town of Dresden, Ohio. They even have a huge corporate office that's shaped like a basket!

They gave my family a great wine-and-dine tour and the job would have been pretty cool for the right person. But I am a city person and living in that small town would have probably driven me nuts.

I also had a chance to work for a company that operates music stores. That company was probably very much like your chocolate company, but with music. Everyone had offices and each office had stereo equipment. Each week, a memo would come out listing the most current CDs and other products. All you had to do was check the ones you wanted and they'd "magically" appear on your desk. I thought that was cool.

Michael Armstead
Database Administrator, OCP-Certified
Corporate & Finance Information Systems
Glaxo SmithKline