Re: DBA Job at a Chocolate Factory

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:58:10 -0800

Well, I spent four days at Rudolph Foods in Lima, Ohio, where they make pork rinds. You could smell the stuff everywhere, and the floors were permanently slippery because of the grease buildup, even though they were mopped twice a day. Gross...

>>> sorr_at_arzoo.com 03/21/01 11:06AM >>>

Seven years ago I was offered an Oracle DBA job at a chocolate factory and turned it down. (Please don't tell Rachel, she already thinks I'm crazy.) I had two simultaneous offers for the same salary and took the one closer to home. While on the interview they gave me the full tour of the factory starting with the bags of cocoa beans on the docks. The smell was intoxicating and even wafted into the office area where I would have worked. They had unlimited stashes of chocolate in every cubicle. I asked the employees if they ever got sick of chocolate and the answer was a resounding NO. Now my kids will never forgive me for not having taken the job at the chocolate factory.

This begs the question... Where and what are some of the most interesting Oracle DBA jobs out there? I heard of one deep underground at a mining operation in the middle of the Nevada desert. Database is a basic technology that can be applied to just about any business anywhere. Any interesting stories? Personal experiences?

Steve Orr

Author: Steve Orr
  INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com

Author: Tim Sawmiller