RE: DBA Job at a Chocolate Factory

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:44:14 -0800

Chocolate I would have taken full advantage of! However, a dream opportunity (as far as the location, but definitely not the management) was wasted on me a couple of years ago when I did a 9 month gig at the Golfsmith International headquarters here in Austin.

There were several indoor and outdoor putting greens, as well as a driving range out back - with access to unlimited fancy clubs. You could wander through the retail part of the store - heaven on earth for a golfer! You could talk to any number of pros that came through and conducted classes for visiting groups of golfers.

The waste? I HATE GOLF! Never hit a ball or even picked up a club, except to marvel at the ridiculous expense of "golf toys".

Now MY idea of a heavenly DBA gig would be at something like the Fred Astaire or Arthur Murray World Headquarters, where my wife and I would have access to a nice dance floor for our rehearsals, access to the occasional pro for coaching, and maybe discounts on dance shoes. WOW!

BTW, those of you who will be in Louisville, KY on March 30th and 31st might find it amusing to watch this old DBA dance with his wife in the "Derby City North-Central Regional Amateur Dancesport Championships" at The Galt House hotel downtown. Dancing, like good DBAing, takes a hell of a lot of hard work to make it look easy!

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA
iNetProfit, Inc.
Austin, Texas
www.iNetProfit.com
japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

Author: Jack C. Applewhite
  INET: japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 11:44:14 CST