RE: FK Constraints

From: Rao, Maheswara <Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 06:15:00 -0800

Building FK constraints depends on the application characteristic.  We have an application in which we do not have any FK constraints.  The primary purpose of this application is monitoring the trade messages that flow from stock exchanges and match them with the stock purchase/buy orders.  Only 6 tables are in the database.  But we receive approximately 1000 to 10,000 trade messages (depending on the customer) into one of the main tables.  The average size of a trade message is 800 bytes. Once a trade is matched, the record is either  deleted or archived depending on business rules.  Stored procedures validate the trade message but they do not use any FK while inserting the data or deleting the data.In the beginning building this kind of database gave me creeps and later once I understood the business rules/functionality, I was convinced.  This application is running without any problem (I mean data inconsistency, leaving orphan records in the tables etc.) and customers are using this and they are satisfied.The database is 804 on Sun.Maheswara RaoDBA
<SPAN
style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><A href="mailto:Maheswara.rao_at_sungardp3.com">Maheswara.rao_at_sungardp3.com Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 08:15:00 CST