Re:SUN vs. HP

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:22:38 -0800

Alex,

    We've used HP servers for the last 8-9 years. Right now we have L & N class machines with a few K's still working hard every day. I find the K, L, and N class machines VERY fault tolerant. If a power supply fails the other can hold the entire load & their hot swap able. If a CPU fails the others take up the load easily. If memory fails it gets partitioned off. Now memory & CPU's aren't hot swap, but it takes almost no time to replace them. The problem has always been disk. We're using EMC Symmetric with RAID1 (full mirroring) which has worked out absolutely wonderful. We've had two disk failures that no one knew about as the mirror took over and the replacement drive only took 10 minutes to re-silver itself. Very nice piece of hardware. Therefore do you need ServiceGuard? No not really, but HP sure would like the extra cash!! By the way we run 5 assembly lines, a web site, and the business as a whole in this way 24x7 52 weeks a year. We've actually lost more production time to user error than computer failure.

Dick Goulet

Author: Alex Apostolopoulos <a.apostolopoulos_at_TRUCK24.com>
Date:       3/20/2001 10:31 AM

Hi,

we are currently in the process of evaluating a high availiability cluster for our production database. The final two solutions are:

SunCluster 2x420R 2Gig 2x450Mhz
Storage 100Gig

Hewlett Packard MC ServiceGuard
2xL-Class 2x440Mhz 2Gig
Storage VA 7100 100Gig

Based on our criterias (scalability, performance, TCO, price, reliability, support, in house experience ...) it looks like a dead race...

Any suggestions or thoughts would be help full

cheers alex

Author: Alex Apostolopoulos
  INET: a.apostolopoulos_at_TRUCK24.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 20 2001 - 21:22:38 CST