RE: maintaining a backup table on another server

From: <john.armani_at_us.abb.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:13:55 -0800

Thanks for the reply Jacques.

I need to insert quite a bit of data (say 300-400 rows), and would like to perform the inserts as the data is collected. I would like to have the two server connections open at once. Otherwise, I would need to buffer the data and update each server separately. The speed factor is critical in this situation.

I am also looking into using "runtime contexts" in a multithreaded application. Not sure if this approach is viable.

John Armani
john.armani_at_us.abb.com

   From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>    Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:04:56 -0800    Subject: RE: maintaining a backup table on another server

   See my answer below.

   If I understand your situation correctly, you want an application to update    two tables in two different Oracle databases (that we will call A and B).    If you use a database link from A to B, when A is down, this will prevent    both updates, which is your concern.
   Why not have the application open two different connections - one to A and    one to B? I'm pretty sure that it's possible in Pro*C.

   any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and    should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

   Jacques R. Kilchoer
   (949) 754-8816
   Quest Software, Inc.
   8001 Irvine Center Drive