Re: Re:RE: RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your opi

From: Michael Netrusov <mn_at_g-fax.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:30:13 -0800

I think I forgot to put a smile in
my previous letter.  Sorry, I didn't mean to offend all the respectable software development companies.
I didn't speak only about developers .. Developers are responsible for the code, DA is responsible for the ER-model, DBA is responsible for support / maintenance. All of those people are responsible for the end product. <FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>
Take PeopleSoft, Oracle
Applications, Platinum, Scala, etc - all of those products are known for their overcomplicated maintenance. Do those companies have time / money to redesign / rewrite their products? Yes. Do they do it? No. It's all about the enormous amount of money they make on customization / support.  The DA's and developers can be well-meaning though and never be aware of the whole plan :-)).

Regards,
Michael Netrusov, www.atelo.com

From: Michael Netrusov [<A
href="mailto:mn_at_g-fax.com">mailto:mn_at_g-fax.com] <FONT
size=2>> > Yes, you are absolutely right, nobody
is having interest in > selling quality
products. > Money is coming from the support of the
product, not from the > selling of the product
itself. If the product is well-written, then >
it'll be no big deal with maintenance, hence no money from <FONT
size=2>> contractors who support and "customize" the application (
> read: fix the >
numerous bugs on fly and try to make the whole $hit work ). <FONT
size=2>> The more complicated the product, the more money is paid for
it's > maintenance. The more money is paid, the
more people are is > interested in working with
it.  The only problem is to sell the whole >
stuff - but it's only a matter of the sales department' qualification.

Coming from a development company, I think I have to point out
that in my humble opinion the statements above are an unfair generalization. I
think developpers in general try to produce a well-written product, and the
fact that products get more complicated is that users expect more features
from newer versions.
To give an analogy, if I posted on this list "all DBAs try to
have a database that requires a lot of manual maintenance and don't document
anthing - that's in their interest for job security", I'm sure there would be
a general outcry.