RE: FK Constraints

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:16:26 -0800

I have heard this argument before and I don't see that it has any justification in fact. If a developper came to me and said:

"My application is going to be used against several databases, so a) Constraints may not always be supported in the underlying RDBMS, and b) Anyway my code does things right",

I would answer
a) Why not use constraints where they are supported, and b) If your code does things right, why do you care if the constraints are there? If your code isn't right, then constraints will help you find the bugs.

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive