Re: URGENT Oracle ERROR!!!

From: djordjej <djordjej_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 05:31:22 -0800

Here is the document from Metalink regading this error:

HTH. Djordje

Doc ID:

        Note:49946.1

        OERR: ORA 27072 skgfdisp:
        I/O error
 Type:
        REFERENCE

                                 Content Type:
                                                  TEXT/PLAIN
                                 Creation Date:
                                                  21-NOV-1997
                                 Last Revision Date:
                                                  08-JUN-1999
                                 Language:
                                                  USAENG

 Error: ORA-27072
 Text: skgfdisp: I/O error

 Cause: read/write/readv/writev system call returned error, additional

         information indicates starting block number of I/O  Action: check errno

 Explanation:
   This error was introduced in Oracle8.

   The error is raised in port specific code so the exact system calls    preceeding the error can vary between platforms. The error indicates    that a read or write call either:

  1. returned an error or
  2. returned a value indicating that the number of bytes read/written does not match the number of bytes we asked to read/write

   Hence the error number reported may or may not be meaningful.    If the read/write returned an error then the ERRNO reported corresponds    to the actual read/write call used. If the read/write returned a different

   number of bytes to that expected then ERRNO is just the left over error    from some previous system call and should be ignored.

   Additional information is the first BLOCK NUMBER being read/written    in the named file.

 Diagnosis:

  1. 2Gb limits (or other limits) can cause this sort of error so check if the filename reported in the corresponding error is a large file. The block number in the additional information can help show if you are close to this limit.
  2. It is helpful to know the system call which caused the error so exact version information is important. If the error is repeatable at will then TRUSS or similar may help identify the call raising the error.
  3. Determine if the file/s are on raw devices / logical raw volumes or file system files.

 References / Known Bugs etc..

   There are several known issues that can cause this error, plus it can be    a non-Oracle problem so it is important to collect all the information:
    2Gb or not 2Gb  - file limits in Oracle              [NOTE:62427.1]
      See the above article as an anchor point for 2Gb issues on various
      platforms.
      Eg: Solaris 2Gb issue                              [BUG:774252]
    Backup of RAW controlfile                            [NOTE:60953.1]
    Sequent AIO issue                                    [NOTE:64632.1]

Author: djordjej
  INET: djordjej_at_home.com