OT: Recipes, as promised

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:29:54 -0800

Unlike Mark, I cannot translate the measurements into metric.

Note that I AM a chocoholic, dark chocolate to be precise, and even *I* cannot eat more than a thin slice of the chocolate mousse cake at any one sitting.

What I really like about these recipes is that they are flourless -- so I can make them for Passover.

Enjoy!

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE Ingredients:

     1/2 lb unsweetened chocolate (8 squares)
     1/2 lb sweet butter cut into cubes,
          plus butter for greasing the pan
     8 egg yolks   (large eggs)
     1 1/4 cups sugar
     5 egg whites
     1 tsp powdered cocoa  (optional)
     1 tsp confectioners sugar (optional)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Put chocolate squares and butter in saucepan, set in skillet of boiling water. Keep water at simmer, stir chocolate & butter until chocolate is melted. Let cool slightly.
  3. Combine egg yolks & sugar in bowl of electric mixer. Beat until mix is light& lemon-colored.
  4. Add chocolate sauce to egg mixture, stirring to blend thoroughly.
  5. Beat whites until stiff but not brittle. If whites are too stiffly beaten they will not fold properly.
  6. Add 1/2 egg whites mixture to chocolate mixture & beat. Fold in remaining whites.
  7. Butter bottom & sides of 8" springform pan, pour 3/4 of mixture into pan. Set remaining chocolate mixture aside (will be used as filling & frosting) -- I refrigerate this until I need it
  8. Place pan in oven & bake 1 hr and 15 min.
  9. When cake is done, transfer to rack, let stand about 10 min. Remove rim from springform pan. Let cake stand until thoroughly cool.
  10. Spoon a portion of reserved, uncooked chocolate mixture around sides of cake like icing, build up slightly around top of cake.
  11. Spoon remaining mix on top of cake & smooth it.
  12. Hold small sieve over cake & spoon cocoa into it. Sprinkle it evenly over top of cake, chill briefly. Add confectioners sugar to sieve and sprinkle over top of cake.

Keep refrigerated.

NEW YORK CHEESECAKE Ingredients:

     2 lbs cream cheese at room temperature
     1 tsp pure vanilla
     1 cup sugar
     4 large eggs at room temperature

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Arrange a rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven.
  2. Butter 8" springform pan, 3" deep. Butter rim of pan. Place circle of waxed paper cut to fit bottom of pan into pan and butter it as well.
  3. Beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping sides and bottom of bowl.
  4. Add vanilla, salt and sugar. Blend until thoroughly mixed with no lumps.
  5. Start beating at moderate speed, add eggs one at a time, beating briefly after each addition, do not overbeat.
  6. Pour mixture into pan.
  7. Place springform pan into larger pan & fill larger pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the springform pan (about 1 1/2" deep).
  8. Place pans in oven & bake 1 1/2 hr. Cake will rise above the rim of the pan about 1/4". Top of cake should be lightly browned.
  9. Remove pan from water & cool on rack 2-3 hours. Cake will sink back to original level.
  10. Refrigerate until cold, then unmold. Keep refrigerated.

Note: It's REALLY important to do the last 2 steps or you are eating cheesecake pudding :)

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Mar 17 2001 - 10:29:54 CST