RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your opi

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:37:43 -0800

I have
a question, why did sqlnav 4 get changed soooo much.  I don't mind it, but the duhvelopers her are very unhappy with it and reinstalled 3.28 blah blah. Just wondering, is it better, am I missing some fantastic stuff?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Kev

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Jacques KilchoerSent:   Friday, March 16, 2001 2:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your   opi

  From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com [<A
  href="mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com">mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com] <FONT   size=2>> >     First things
  first, DON'T TAKE THIS PERSONAL.
  Good thing you said that! I was on my way over there to give   you an atomic wedgie. :->
> (various unpleasant past experiences deleted)
  I've also seen a couple of questionable actions performed by   3rd-party software. It can be very frustrating.
> Now, would I rein in those developers and take away their
> sys/system level >

  privileges, IN A HEART BEAT.  Believe me you'll be doing <FONT   size=2>> those of us out here, > like me, a real   "BIG" favor.
  I will take your advice under consideration. Due to the nature   of the work done here the developers sometimes need to look at different sys   or system objects (e.g. the x$ tables). Part of my job here is to try and give   a more DBA-oriented view on the pros/cons of the application (including the   install process) to the development team, so I appreciate your feedback and   will keep your points in mind.
  I'm going to add a few sentences with my Quest Employee hat   on. I hope I'm not giving the impression that over at Quest we have developers   running amuck and trashing every database in sight. It is my responsibility as   an employee here to help people form a good impression of Quest Software, Inc.   and so I want to add that the developers here are very smart people and know   Oracle very well. Like most developers they are used to deleting and   recreating test scenarios at will so they don't have the same respect for   their databases (and nor should they) as a production DBA would have for   his/her data. In addition, some of the test scenarios that they run through   could very well include cases of a database that's "corrupted" in some   significant way, and what to do in that situation.   By the way, if any person has a question on the Quest products   I will endeavour (within the time limits that I am willing to devote to this   list) to answer them.