RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your opinion

From: Diana Duncan <dduncan_at_arsenaldigital.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:03:56 -0800

As someone who may very well be laid off next week, I'm very appreciative of the article. ;-)

One caveat -- Junior DBA's don't fare as well. Everyone and their brother seem to want at least 2 years experience. Luckily for me I've been doing this for a long time, but some of my former employees are having difficulty.

Another weird thing -- here in RTP, there seem to be alot of people who up and decide one day to become DBA's. They shell out the thousands of bucks for all of the Oracle classes, get OCP certified, THEN try to find a job. With zero experience. I find that odd, but I guess it's one way to get into it...

Again, thanks!

Diana Duncan
Director, Data Services (for now)
Arsenal Digital Solutions