Re: Connecting from VAX/VMS to Remote Oracle Data Base

From: Robert Jenkins <rojenkin_at_vansd.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:37:41 -0800

Tim,

We have a VAX/VMS7.1 maching with RMS Indexed files that we have been trying to connect to.
I haven't been able to find any ODBC tool to connect to the VAX. What I have so far is a company called CONNX has a product that will connect to VAX using CONNX and from there you can use ODBC to get to Oracle. The alternative that we are currently using here is the old fashioned method of First create a fixed length ascii file on the VAX system. Then FTP that to our Oracle server. Then use SQLoader into Oracle.
Oracle has a 'Transparent Gateway for RMS' that is in beta testing. We are going to be participating in that beta. Hopefully that will be a better way.

Good Luck and please let me know if you find another way to do this.

rj

>>> sawmillert_at_state.mi.us 3/14/01 12:10:26 PM >>>
My client is trying to connect from an RDB database on a VAX/VMS machine to an Oracle database on an HP machine. Can this be done? How?

Author: Tim Sawmiller
  INET: sawmillert_at_state.mi.us

Author: Robert Jenkins
  INET: rojenkin_at_vansd.org