RE: LONG: Re: Order of table_name resolution

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:01:57 -0800

etc...

That was an excellent post Mr. Testa. My chapeau goes off to you. Also it seems that Oracle keeps track of the names it goes through when doing synonym resolution, as the example below shows:

SQL> create synonym x for y ;

Synonym created.

SQL> create synonym y for x ;

Synonym created.

SQL> select * from x ;
select * from x
              *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01775: looping chain of synonyms

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive