RE: Oracle Internals

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:38:39 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>....make that "V$LATCH" to find the SLEEP1-11 columns....

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Mohan, Ross   [mailto:MohanR_at_stars-smi.com]Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 9:06   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   Oracle Internals
  HP, it is sleep/wake/check. it is up to the process to acquire   the resource. AFAIK, there is no message-passing type   of algorithm to tell waiting (whether spinning or   sleeping) processes when the semaphore becomes unset (   ie the resource is available ) Sleeps are expensive in   Latchville, and you can track their occurence via   v$latch_waits and the SLEEP* columns.   hope this partial answer helps.
  -----Original Message----- From: Henry   Poras [<A
  href="mailto:Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com">mailto:Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com]   Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 10:25 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: Oracle Internals
  I have been rereading Steve Adam's book a bit more carefully   and have a question. Just wondering if anyone has any   answers.
  When talking about latch sleeps, the book states "a process   sleeping for a latch waits on its semaphore". However,   latches don't support queuing and a number of   processes may be waiting for the same latch. If I am sleeping and   the latch frees, who knows I need that semaphore? Are all   waiting processes posted with the semaphores going   on/off/on/off? or is no semaphore posted and the   processes go sleep/wake/check/sleep/wake/check? I can't quite <FONT   size=2>picture the details here.
  Henry