RE: oracle and America

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:32:14 -0800

The whole c2 security thing and the POSIX compliance for NT were so they could sell their OS to the government, wasn't it?

I think they may have dropped POSIX from Windows2000, I don't know if it ever worked very well.

They did the same thing when OS/2 seemed a plausible alternative, NT supported HPFS. When OS/2 dropped off the map, MS dropped support for HPFS.

They only support competing standards when they have to, I think. Once they gain market share they drop all that extra "fluff". Then competing products have to be compatible with theirs, not the other way around. It saves them on costs of development, support, etc.

I am waiting to see when they will drop NWLINK from their OS.

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

        Author: Jerry C
          INET: usidba_at_yahoo.com