RE: Deployment of Oracle Client

From: <schmoldt_at_fyiowa.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:20:13 -0800

We
install the Oracle runtimes (both SQLnet and Forms/Reports runtime installs) on a shared network drive, same as you would on a client.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Easiest is to do it from a "clean" PC with no previous Oracle installs.  <FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>Once the network install is done, export the local machine's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE registry branch to an external registry file.  We call ours ORACLE.REG.  You can edit that file with a text editor to view it or make additions ... FORMS library paths, Forms icon paths, etc., whatever.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Make
sure you also have current versions of TNSNAMES.ORA, etc. in the correct directories of your network install.  Basically, this needs to be a complete ORACLE_HOME ... everything that might otherwise go in the client ORAWIN95 or ORANT directory.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
E-Mail
the ORACLE.REG file to the user and have them double-click it.  It will create the Oracle network registry entries on their PC.  This lets them run SQLNet from the network drive as well.  <SPAN class=066195623-13032001>As long as they have an Oracle login, they're good to go at this point.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Most
of our Forms amd Reports are launched from a single "clearinghouse" Oracle form.  It populates listboxes containing the products the user has access to, based on a security table.  They select the form or report and the form runs the product from there.     So as long as the user has the icon for that master form on their desktop, they don't need any other local installs.  We usually e-mail the icon to them and ask them to drag it to their desktops.  For users that aren't confident in doing that, we do it for them.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
All
the icon paths point to the Oracle Forms runtimes that we installed above.  If our network drive is M:, and our network Oracle install was to M:\ORACLE\ORAWIN, an example for a form would be:

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>M:\ORACLE\ORAWIN\BIN\ifrun60.EXE M:\oracle\gazmis\prod60\exe\retention.fmx
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
So our
steps to set up a PC user for Oracle access are:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>1.  Create their Oracle login(s).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>2.  Email them the ORACLE.REG file to point all their Oracle paths to the network install.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>3.  Email them the icon needed to run the "clearinghouse" form.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
We've
found that 90% of the users have no problem doing the e-mail install, as long as the e-mail instructions are very clear and concise.  So that's 90% of the PCs we never have to visit.  We haven't noticed any network load issues caused by having the Oracle install and Forms/Reports executables on a network drive.  But then, we're only at a few hundred client machines.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
I'm
sure I skipped some details, but this might point you in the right direction.  If anything isn't clear, you can follow up with me in e-mail if you'd like.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Dave
Schmoldt
<A

href="mailto:schmoldt_at_fyiowa.com">schmoldt_at_fyiowa.com
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Gazette Communications
Cedar
Rapids, IA
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">   <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jacques Kilchoer   [mailto:Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com]Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001   4:46 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Deployment of Oracle Client
  From: Jim Conboy [<A
  href="mailto:Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com">mailto:Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com]   > Sent: lundi, 12. mars 2001 10:27 <FONT   size=2>> > > How do
  most organizations deploy sqlnet client to a large <FONT   size=2>> user base?  We've currently got hundreds, maybe thousands of   > users with various versions of the client   installed on their > desktop.  We're also   about to roll out Windows 2000 to a > large   percentage of these users.  In testing we've determined <FONT   size=2>> that earlier desupported client versions (7.3.4 and such)   > seem to work on W2K with the apps currently   deployed.  I'm > not happy with a "cross your   fingers and hope" approach and > have been pushing   to get most users up to 8i as a client.  >   Ideally I'd like to have something the users can download and <FONT   size=2>> install from the intranet.  In searching technet downloads   > all I find is the entire bloated 200MB Oracle   Client as a > download - much too big for our   remote users to download and > install.  All I   want is the Net8 pieces I'd need for >   sqlworksheet, or TOAD, or an ODBC connection, so that the <FONT   size=2>> download and install time would be within reason.  Anybody   > have suggestions?  How are people on this   list deploying > Oracle apps to many users?    Thanks.
  At the companies I've worked, we have used two different   methods: a) For every new PC, have PC support people   install SQL*Net from the Oracle CD - though I think sometimes they might just   do a full disk copy from a startup disk on an identical system, not 100% sure   about that
  b) Have a log created by Oracle Installer and copy the actions   performed by that log to create a WISE installation script. One of my   colleagues did this at a previous company but had to change the WISE   installation script several times because the Oracle Installer may not install   some .DLLs if they are already present on the PC. e.g. if I remember correctly   CTL3D.DLL was one that was missing from the WISE script because on our sample   run it wasn't installed, but if it was missing from the PC the installer would   copy it over.
  c) There's also talk of a "silent" install but I think that   was with older versions of the Oracle Installer. I don't know where the   "silent" install is documented.