Re: Oracle8i on Alpha Windows NT?

From: Don Jerman <djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:47:27 -0800

No, Oracle 8i isn't available for NT/Alpha and it won't be -- we got saddled with one of those boxes and just got it working before MS and Compaq pulled the plug. (ordered before the merger with Digital was announced) There will be no more updates for NT/Alpha, and (likely) no new products unless someone does another about-face. If you can get it to run Linux you can use it for a fast web or mail server, but Oracle doesn't support Linux/Alpha either, just Linux/Intel for now.

If you're lucky, you bought it before MS strongarmed Digital into making the architecture and bios windows - only, and you can (maybe) get Tru64 running on it instead (MS raised a stink about how we might be buying it with unix and pirating NT, so Digital had to make the boxes run only one or the other or lose the NT license). But if you bought back then it's probably time to upgrade anyway, 'cause your processors are no faster than about 300 Mhz :-).

We wound up replacing it with Intel boxes. You have to crank the Mhz higher to get the same throughput, but Intel's done it. I wonder if the I/O is as good as it would have been with the Alpha box, though.