RE: (Fwd) Re: (Fwd/Oracle) Does NT write to random locations on d

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:40:20 -0800

EP,

I don't see the logic in the last post: "You can't have fast and best."

First, he doesn't define terms. "Fast"?  Is that peak I/O? Streaming I/O? Single block read? Seek time? Write time? Come on, trying to reduce this to an undifferentiated "fast" or "slow" verges on the useless unless one takes the effort to provide an EXPLICITLY CITED METRIC for speed. And this fellow didn't.

Second, it's confusing: why is "fast" set against "best" as though the one is somehow the enemy of the other? Huh?

Third, it leaves out any discussion of the effect of on-disk and on-controller cache. (Not to mention system-level cache.)  As far as the application is concerned, it does not see the "disk" alone....it sees controller and disk cache and disk as an amalgam, performance-wise....)

Fourth, since WHEN did the choice become forced into "Do you want a fast hard disk array with lots of fragments, or a slow disk array with minimal fragments?" Geez, can I have a slow disk array with lots of fragments?

The only statement I agree with, either logically or from experience is the bit about OS vendors keeping a bit secret from the world on their...well, "secret sauce". Sure, you can keep a little bit secret, but come on, folks, it's not like MS has any other/better/special MoJo than any other vendor. What? when the aliens landed on the Redmond campus and revealed their special VASTLY SUPERIOR alien OS technology, no one else noticed?

The fact is, data access through a system is.....data access through a system. The
*whole* system -- including caches -- counts. And, logic will tell you that long-stride
streaming I/O ( think Oracle Video Server, e.g. ) will work FASTER and therefore BETTER
on a DEFRAGMENTED disk. (geez)

I guess this one needs someone who really cares enough to actually test it.