Deployment of Oracle Client

From: Jim Conboy <Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:24:48 -0800

How do most organizations deploy sqlnet client to a large user base? We've currently got hundreds, maybe thousands of users with various versions of the client installed on their desktop. We're also about to roll out Windows 2000 to a large percentage of these users. In testing we've determined that earlier desupported client versions
(7.3.4 and such) seem to work on W2K with the apps currently deployed. I'm not happy
with a "cross your fingers and hope" approach and have been pushing to get most users up to 8i as a client. Ideally I'd like to have something the users can download and install from the intranet. In searching technet downloads all I find is the entire bloated 200MB Oracle Client as a download - much too big for our remote users to download and install. All I want is the Net8 pieces I'd need for sqlworksheet, or TOAD, or an ODBC connection, so that the download and install time would be within reason. Anybody have suggestions? How are people on this list deploying Oracle apps to many users? Thanks.

Jim

Author: Jim Conboy
  INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com