Re: One Database, Multiple Apps

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:57:12 -0800

Lisa,
 One of the biggest advantages that jumps right out is the user administration at the OS level. One login can get the user to more than one application/instance. At the Oracle level you have all of your scripts on one server and that makes it easier to manage the database. It's not the question "what server/instance am I on? " when you name your scripts accordingly.
 The main draw back to the multiple instance on one server is as you pointed out. A failure can effect everything on the server. But a disk failure can only effect the instance the disk was part of and recovery can be performed while the rest of the instances are up.

ROR mª¿ªm

>>> lkoivu_at_qode.com 03/12/01 11:26AM >>>
Hello all -

I have one medium-large production database here. Our system is hybrid but more similar to OLTP. As far as I know quick inserts are not a problem. I need to implement tracking software, where all I'd have to do from the database side is just collect records very quickly without impacting the speed of page views. This tracking software connects via JDBC and really does not care about dbms versions. I am thinking of just implementing a schema in my current database for this purpose and making the table as quick for inserts as possible (no primary key, minimal indexing, PCTUSED set appropriately, etc.)

Honestly I can't think of a good reason for creating a separate database other than I'd be creating a bunch of configuration work for myself as well as modifying our backup and recovery strategy (which I am comfortable with doing). Any reporting off this raw data will be done in a "reporting" database, or off Cognos cubes. I thought about any advantages to having one database available when the other is down, and really there are none (if one is down, the entire application will not be available).

Has anyone had to configure databases in this manner and if so, what other ideas came into play when deciding whether or not to have one database serve more than one application? Thanks for any comments you may have.

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org