moving from Access to Oracle

From: Bryan Sirtosky <freeman_at_iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:49:53 -0800

Listers,

I have a client who currently has an application that uses an Access database with an Access front end interface (VBA). Since the users are required to make changes to data at any time, they each have the app and a local database replicated on their laptops which they can update and then later 'resync' their changes with the centralized Access database at work.

Well, there seems to be too much data in the database and Access cannot handle it anymore. They would like to move to a web interface with an Oracle backend, but they can't afford to do all that. So they want to take the Access database and drop it into Oracle (most likely 8i) but use the same Access GUI. Then they expect their application to still work correctly.

I think what they are asking for could be done, but lots of changes would have to be made. For example:

  1. We would have to create an Oracle ODBC connection for the app to use to access the oracle database.
  2. We would have to export the tables from Access to the new Oracle environment.
  3. We would have to change their VBA code anywhere "nonOracle" function calls are made (e.g., datetime() would have to be changed to to_date() ).

I don't know what would be done about the 'syncing' process.

What may happen is that it may be just as expensive to make the changes required as to go to a web app (which they really need). Has anyone ever had to move an application from Access to Oracle?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Author: Bryan Sirtosky
  INET: freeman_at_iquest.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 12 2001 - 09:49:53 CST