RE: Does NT write to random locations on disk?

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:27:52 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Kostyszyn [mailto:kevin_at_dulcian.com] Sent: vendredi, 9. mars 2001 12:31

> I would have to agree, it is not going to actually defrag the datafile itself.

>  NT defrag is not taking apart files and putting them back together,

> it moves files around.  It is going to consider the db file one big file,
> it might not do anything at all to defrag.

My head is starting to hurt. :( I thought the NT defrag would try to: a) Make sure all the free blocks on disk were contiguous, and b) Make sure that the files on disk were in contiguous blocks. Isn't that right?

Of course, doing a "defrag" on the disk containing the datafiles will do nothing to remedy fragmentation of Oracle tables inside the tablespace.

Nevertheless, I would think that doing an NT "defrag" should not "corrupt" the Oracle data inside the datafiles.

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive