RE: 8.0 / 8i Bang for the Buck Features

From: <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:43:10 -0800

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. The application in question uses a lot of in-line views, sometimes nested quite a few levels deep. On 7.3, they encountered various aliasing problems -- needing to alias the column names in the in-line views even if the name remained the same as the column name when moving the SQL into PL/SQL blocks. I can't recall if I have seen cases where they used the same alias for different in-line views at different levels within an SQL statement (though I wouldn't have expected that to work at all). It's something to keep an eye out for, thanks.

Also saw a bug in 7.3.4.3 where in-line views using UNION in SELECT statement in PL/SQL could return incorrect results. That bit them since the bug was fixed in 7.3.4.4, their development and QA boxes are 7.3.4.5, and production is 7.3.4.3 (a bug of significant impact kept them from upgrading prod to 7.3.4.5 -- don't know why they didn't back down test and QA to match prod). Code that worked fine "broke" when moved to prod. Had a fun weekend working through that one the first time it was encountered.

One of my concerns is how the CBO is going to behave. Will well behaving SQL statements go South due to changes in the CBO and how it "calculates" the most efficient access path.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net