RE: ODBC version errors

From: Mandar Ghosalkar <MandarG_at_gsr-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:11:22 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Lisa,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Dont  ever use Oracle 8/8i drivers. I had a pretty bad experience with them.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
I was
called at a clients place to check their web app. they were using silk test to check the load performance against SQL Server 7 and Oracle 8i.

when
connected to SQL Server the app was reporting an avg response of 1.5 secs, whereas with Oracle it was around 17 secs.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
After
checking it was found that the Oracle odbc driver was the culprit. after switching to MS provided Oracle driver, Oracle performance was a beau.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
I have
all the statspack reports before and after the driver switch
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>-Mandar
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">   <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Yttri, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.yttri_at_cnh.com]Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 3:11   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: OT:   ODBC version errors
  Hi everyone -
  I have several developers telling me that their web   applications (some are purchased packages and some are developed in-house) do   not work with Oracle ODBC drivers if they are version 8.  Every one of   their applications seems to run fine with the 7.3.4 ODBC drivers.  They   get a variety of errors - some get odd messages when they try to login, others   get Dr. Watson errors when there are more than x number of users   connecting.
  Does anyone know of existing problems (or fixes) related to   the 8 (both 8.0 and 8.1) drivers?   ........ or, can you point me to   any documents / sites / user groups that could better answer my   question?
  Thanks very much - Lisa Received on Wed Mar 07 2001 - 18:11:22 CST