Recommended # of CPUs and MHz

From: Simpson, Don <don_at_alldata.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:24:11 -0800

I've been looking around for ways to determine how much processor speed I need for a new installation. From what I found so far there are basically two ways to do this.
1. Spend the time and money on resources and tools to analyze the needs. 2. Make a best guess and go from there.

Given the limited time and budget I would like simply to make a best guess. I'm hoping a query to the mass might produce some suggestions for me.

I'm estimating about 100 to 150 users on a machine that will be dedicated strictly to the database, no app servers or any other programs outside of normal OS and database processes will run on it. I will have 3 Oracle instances running on it, all together about 10 gig of data manipulated in a OLTP environment.

I'll probably go with a SUN 420 with 2 450MHz processors to start. I'd like to have more but then that would raise the ante on the Oracle licensing. I'll attempt to compensate with loads of memory.

What do you think, am I being unrealistic with only 900MHz or can I skate by?

Thanks,
Don.

Author: Simpson, Don
  INET: don_at_alldata.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 07 2001 - 15:24:11 CST