RE: Dropping datafiles

From: Hagedorn, Linda <lindah_at_epocrates.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:05:21 -0800

If this datafile is one of a group of datafiles, that is to say tablespace TS1 has multiple datafiles along with the one created in error, do not offline drop the datafile.  Oracle knows of the datafile and offline drop does not remove the information.

Story: A hot-talking DBA came into the shop where I used to work, created additional unneeded datafiles, and then did an offline drop on one of them.  Production came to a standstill 40 minutes later.  While hot-shot tried to fix it, we lost six-figures in orders, and eventually had to recover from the last hot backup (recovery assistance provided by Joe.  Thank you).

Moral: Don't do an offline drop of a datafile in a group of datafiles unless you are planning a recovery exercise.