Re: Svrmgrl "connect internal" asks for password??

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:44:10 -0800

Do you have a password file set up for the 8.1.6 database ? Check your init.ora file to see whether you have specified any password file to store the internal password (parameter remote_login_passwordfile ..

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies www.i2.com

                    "Fowler, Kenneth R"

                    <kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.p        To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    fizer.com>                        cc:

                    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com         Subject:     Svrmgrl "connect
internal" asks for password??

                    03/07/01 11:00 AM

                    Please respond to ORACLE-L

List,

I have an installation of Oracle 8.1.6 on a DBA test server where svrmgrl "connect internal" seems to want a password...

Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000

Configured oracle environment aliases...

Alias     SID       Oracle Home
-----     ---       -----------

dba816 dba816 /Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.6 dba817 dba817 /Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.7

$ id

uid=301(oracle) gid=300(dba)
$ groups

dba
$ env | grep ORACLE

ORACLE_BASE=/Volumes/app/oracle
$ dba816

dba816 $ env | grep ORACLE

ORACLE_BASE=/Volumes/app/oracle
ORACLE_SID=dba816
ORACLE_HOME=/Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.6
dba816 $ cdcreate
/Volumes/app/oracle/admin/dba816/create
dba816 $ svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.2.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal;
Password:
Password:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
SVRMGR> ^D
Server Manager complete.
dba816 $ dba817
dba817 $ env | grep ORACLE

ORACLE_BASE=/Volumes/app/oracle
ORACLE_SID=dba817
ORACLE_HOME=/Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
dba817 $ cdcreate
/Volumes/app/oracle/admin/dba817/create
dba817 $ svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal;
Connected.
SVRMGR> ^D
Server Manager complete.

I know that the usual reason for this is that the account running svrmgrl is
not a member of the appropriate unix group (usually "dba" or as specified at
installation time) but this is not the case here. On this server I have Oracle 8.1.6 (Home = /Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.6) and Oracle 8.1.7 (Home = /Volumes/app/oracle/product/8.1.7). My login script sets up aliases
for each SID listed in /var/opt/oracle/oratab. These aliases use the oraenv
script with environment variable ORAENV_ASK=NO to set appropriate values for
ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME and PATH etc. Other than that, the environment is exactly the same regardless of what SID I switch to (see log above). However "connect internal" asks for a password for Oracle 8.1.6 but does not
ask for one for Oracle 8.1.7. I am pretty sure that I specified that the group name be "dba" for 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 so that should not be the issue.

Can anybody give me some pointers of other things to look at to try and resolve the problem???

Thanks,
Ken

Clinical and Regulatory Informatics - Groton/New London Coordinator, Business and Technical Services Tel: (860) 732-0026 Fax: (860) 715-8346 Email: Kenneth_R_Fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com
Author: Fowler, Kenneth R
  INET: kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com

  INET: Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com