RE: 8.0 / 8i Bang for the Buck Features

From: <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:49:23 -0800

Diana,

Good to see you back on the list.

One of the DBA's has that book and will review it for applicable performance related info. I was able to get a couple of examples from Technet where they benchmarked a procedure using bulk binds against the same procedure not using bulk binds. The same type of comparison was done for a procedure using and not using NOCOPY for parameter passing / referencing.

We will benchmark features to see if they warrant implementing. The window for upgrading and testing is rather small. The primary focus is to make sure things don't "break" when doing the upgrade. The DB will be going to 8.1.7 from 7.3.4.3 and the tools from Forms 5.0 / Reports 3.0 (web enabled) to Forms and Reports 6i. But, there is also interest in taking advantage of any performance boosters that we can without jeopardizing the schedule.

I may come back to the list a little later with specific questions on certain features as opposed to the broad question I started with.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 10:56 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

This is not really what you are looking for, but may help -- the book "Oracle8 Design Tips" by Dave Ensor and Ian Stevenson had a good summary of the usefulness of the Oracle8 features for designs. This is 8.0, though, not 8.1.

HTH, Diana

  INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:49:23 CST