RE: Help with Oracle

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:22:00 -0800

What version of Oracle? What version of Excel? You should be able to use an ODBC connection to an Oracle database to achieve what you want. Go into "control panels" and look for "data sources (ODBC)". (You might find it in "Administrative Tools" depending on your version of Windows). Add a DSN (data source name) that uses the Oracle ODBC driver (you can find the Oracle ODBC driver on the Oracle client software CD). Under "Data source Name" type in an alias for the database (that can be whatever you want.) Under "Service Name" put in the name of the service as it appears in your tnsnames.ora configuration file. Then in Excel,  use "Data -> Get External Data -> New Database Query" or the appropriate menu command for your version of Excel.

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive