RE: OEM 2.2. installation blues

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:33:01 -0800

I've actually had a couple other requests to expound upon that, so here 'tis:

Nope, iFS is not working fine, which is why I've shut it down. I've got 8.1.7 on order (should have been here days ago!) for a couple of other platforms, so I'll be able to move the database off of my machine, and attempt to once again re-install as a three-tier, instead of a two-tier. The last time took me 4 weeks and 2 TARs to get it installed! And I still couldn't get JWS to run correctly.

My first problem is that I had already installed OEM v2.2 on my PC. This apparently is not a valid option. Because iFS requires an 8.1.7 install, I installed that in a different ORACLE_HOME, but it wouldn't let me install OEM client required by iFS into the same ORACLE_HOME as it was already installed in another. And there's no way around it. Oracle Support told me to deinstall all Oracle products, including OEM, and reinstall them in a single ORACLE_HOME. They also told me that I wouldn't lose anything by deinstalling OEM, since everything is in the repository DB. But they forgot to tell me that some of my custom backgrounds were stored there (and I forgot, too), so I lost those. Anyway, I reinstalled everything into the same ORACLE_HOME, and fired up iFS. After a major struggle with the 4 or 5 default passwords for different things, I finally got it to work in a completely unsecured manor. I never was able to secure it. Anyone could login and read/write to anyone else's directory. And since the Java Web Server never worked (503 errors when the webpage was surfed to), I will reinstall again using the three-tier model (database is on another machine), once the DB software arrives.

iFS has been a major pain for me-- very little documentation, and what documentation there is seems to serve as a reference guide, as though you already know the product, instead of a tutorial. Kinda interesting concept for an installation manual...

My $.02.

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com