Re: Re[2]:Oracle Licensing

From: William Beilstein <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:07:43 -0800

I doubt it, Oracle will say that their profit margins are too low so they will up their licence costs for everyone else. Larry can you spell greed.

>>> <dgoulet_at_vicr.com> 03/02/01 12:35PM >>>
Dennis,

    I'm sitting in the middle of the East Coast dot bomb area. I know of three dot bombs that paid a total of $100 million between them for Oracle licenses. Now that the dot com sugar daddy has been licked clean maybe reality will strike!!

Dick Goulet

Author: Dennis Taylor <ismgr_at_pctc.com>
Date:       3/2/2001 8:30 AM

At 06:25 AM 3/2/01 -0800, you wrote:
>the mire. At any rate, there are suppose to be two basic licensing
schemes, and
>GOD only knows how many "allowed" permutations:
>
> 1) Power Units which equates to the number of processors times the
speed of
>the processors in Megahertz. Oh, BTW: it matters if their Intel or Risc
>processors too. Risc processors are more expensive. In general this is the
>MOST expensive way to go.

I went to the oracle site and did some calcs for adding users to Oracle Enterprise. Kept sayin g to myself, "Naw, they must mean *hundreds* of megahertz....". Anyway, for a very behind-the-curve system (2x200mhz ppro's), it works out to $4000 per additional user.

Or I can look at Interbase/Firebird, which is free.

Today I will be assigning one of my staff the task of downloading, installing, and evaluating Firebird.

The only way I can imagine that Oracle thinking can be going is: "Hey, revenues are dropping because of competition from free and less expensive dbms's". "No problem. Raise prices to make up the shortfall". Then I say to myself, "Naw, no-one can be that stupid". Then I check the per-user prices again....

Dennis Taylor

Good we must love, and must hate ill,
For ill is ill, and good good still.
Author: Dennis Taylor