DataWarehouse Configuration

From: Bill Becker <beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:48:40 -0800

Hello,

Some data warehousing questions:

We are considering a setup where we have two separate machines, 1 for doing the ETL (ExtractTransformLoad)processing, and 1 for the production machine. Our env is Oracle 8.1.6 on Sun. The main idea is to insulate the production machine from the effects of ETL processing; the only impact ETL would have on the production machine would be when the ETL has completed and the data is copied over to the production machine, which leads me to my question: what methods have been used to minimize the time needed for this copy step?

The amount of data to be transferred would be around 200GB, but expected to grow very fast.
Both machines would be part of an existing ethernet network, and we've considered the following:
1) Just do the transfer over the existing ethernet network (figure about

   150GB/hour)
2) Position the machines close to each other, and run a short (6-foot or less)

   cable between serial ports or parallel ports on both machines 3) Set up a separate network; install an ethernet card in each machine, and

   connect them with ethernet
4) Go to a "disk-farm" setup - don't know a lot about this, but both machines

   would access subsets of a large shared disk array (is this EMC? or other vendors?)

The consensus is that fiberoptic, although faster, would be a waste since then the limiting factor would be disk read and write speeds.

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding the above, especially #4, and any other approaches. Thanks to any responders.

Author: Bill Becker
  INET: beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 02 2001 - 08:48:40 CST