Re:Oracle Licensing

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:26:33 -0800

Nick,

    After several years of directly dealing with Oracle, we've decided to go through a third party VAR to purchase software. The reason is the licensing methods that they use. Seems what you need to be a mathematician, astrologer, and soothsayer to figure it out. I've even had Oracle sales reps get lost in the mire. At any rate, there are suppose to be two basic licensing schemes, and GOD only knows how many "allowed" permutations:

  1. Power Units which equates to the number of processors times the speed of the processors in Megahertz. Oh, BTW: it matters if their Intel or Risc processors too. Risc processors are more expensive. In general this is the MOST expensive way to go.
  2. Named Users which equates to your being able to draw up a definitive list of the actual individuals in the company who access the database. Least expensive way to go, but leaves you wide open for an audit.

Now then there are lots of other permutations that can be worked out, if you want to use Linux and/or your going to deploy only behind your corporate firewall, if it's near the end of the Oracle Quater or even better the end of their fiscal year.

    Now if your good at predicting the future. The best is one week before the end of their fiscal year, when the moon will be full on the day they announce the results, and Haley's comet is at it's perigee.... Get the point!!

Dick Goulet

Author: Nick Mundi <mundin_at_news.com.au>
Date:       3/1/2001 3:08 PM

Dear Esteemed List,

Though I am very familiar with the technical aspects of Oracle, I don't know much about Oracle licensing. I have recently been asked by one of our staff to get more information on licensing. I would be very grateful for any information relating to this.

Also, is licensing based on the number of OS's or is it only on processers used/speed etc. What happens if you are running a passive/standby database, or a OS clustering solution.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nick Mundi
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>Oracle Licensing</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Dear Esteemed List,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Though I am very familiar with the technical
aspects of Oracle, I don't know much about Oracle licensing. I have recently been asked by one of our staff to get more information on licensing. I would be very grateful for any information relating to this. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Also, is licensing based on the number of OS's or
is it only on processers used/speed etc. What happens if you are running a passive/standby database, or a OS clustering solution.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Thanks.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Nick Mundi</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com