RE: hsodbc/Merant connection to MSSQL

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:46:45 -0800

Hi Ed,

If it helps, I have got hsodbc working under 816 on NT4 going to MSSQL 6.5 also on NT4.

        (AFAIK it does not work under 815 on NT.)
        I have also used HSODBC to connect to Rdb databases running on VMS.

However, this was in a test environment and I have not used it in production.
I found note 114820.1 helpful - "QUICK START GUIDE: WIN NT - Generic Connectivity using ODBC"
Also note 109730.1 - How to setup generic connectivity (Heterogeneous Services) for Windows NT

Excerpts from my config files are below. Also make sure the hsodbc option is installed - check for the existence of oracle_home\bin\hsodbc.exe

tnsnames.ora
For hsodbc, put (HS=OK)
eg:

# MI31 is MSSQL database on host x - but since HS, host set to the node of
the listener

MI31.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = nameofmypc)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MI31)
    )
    (HS=OK)
  )

In my listener.ora, I had (under a sid_list):

    (SID_DESC =

      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = MI31.WORLD)
      (SID_NAME = MI31)
      (PROGRAM = HSODBC)

    )

In my initmi31.ora file (note the domain setting to avoid ora-02085). This file is located at oracle_home\hs\admin

# initmi31.ora

#

# Created 01-Dec-2000 , Bruce Reardon.
#

# This is a sample agent init file that contains the HS parameters that are
# needed for an ODBC Agent.
#

# HS init parameters

#
# |<- ODBC Data Source Name configured in step 4
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = MI31
# |<- trace levels are from 0 to 4 (4 is maximum)
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 0
HS_FDS_TRACE_FILE_NAME = mi31.trc
# seet this so don't get ora-02085 when connecting from a database with
global_names=true
HS_DB_DOMAIN=WORLD
HS_DB_NAME=MI31 Hope this helps,

Regards,
Bruce

Anyone succeeded in getting hsodbc working (8.1.x); I need to get this up (Oracle to MSSQL 2K on Win2K);

TG4MSQL is not viable as it isn't supported on W2K; can't wait for 'promised' upgrades. Merant seemed to be the way to go; but I've been unable to get that connection working either through hsodbc; I've been over my listener configs about 200 times already and all appears in order.

Success / Failure stories much welcome.

TIA Ed Maurer
AcquireX

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au