BFILE vs. BLOB

From: Koivu, Lisa <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:44:44 -0800

Good morning all,

I have to start storing binary files in our database somehow.  I'm reading up on BFILES and BLOBs.

Seems like one of the differences is that BLOBs are manipulated within the database, and BFILEs are not.  Can anyone comment on how fast (or not fast) the DBMS_LOB. routines are when operating in fairly large BLOBs?  I'm leaning toward BFILEs to avoid having the database do anything other than just keep a pointer to the file and keep the transaction length as short as possible.  FWIW, I'll only need to accept a file and store it, and return it back to the app when requested.

Another question:  Anyone using temporary BLOBs (8i)?

Any comments, gotchas, boogie men are appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com." Received on Thu Mar 01 2001 - 10:44:44 CST