RE: OID questions

From: Nelson, Greg <GNelson_at_banknorth.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:37:02 -0800

Failover information in Oracle Internet Directory (OID) is entered like Net8 configuration information. You can import the exact information that is in your TNSNAMES.ORA into OID, so if you can code failovers in TNSNAMES.ORA you can put it in OID as well. So you would handle failovers using OID thru a combination of how you set up your databases and Net8.

You will also want to make sure that you have a failover for the OID database if you decide to use it. If it is your connection server and it isn't up clients obviously can't connect. You can place failover options in SQLNET.ORA and/or the LDAP.ORA file that is used by OID, such as having multiple OID databases or Advanced Replication.

I have learned the hard way (not on MetaSlop) that OID is not available on Parallel Server yet so thats not an option.

There is no concise or clear directions available that I know of to get OID installed and working (at least from Oracle). The steps to install and get OID working are found not only in the OID manual. They involve installing OID from the Enterprise Edition CD under Management Infrastructure which creates an OID database or populates one of your choosing, starting OID services, using Oracle Directory Manager to create your particular LDAP context (i.e. banknorth.com), Net8 Configuration Assistant for adding Oracle Administration context under your context, and Net8 Assistant for adding entries from TNSNAMES.ORA under your context. Entries can also be bulk loaded by Oracle scripts which I haven't done yet.

Piecing it all together the first time took me a week because of the lack of clear directions. I documented it myself and then 2 months later did a complete install on another server in an hour using my own documentation.

Migrating from Oracle Names would undoubtedly involve some different steps
(probably at my TNSNAMES import). There will be an Oracle Names proxy in
9i.

After saying all this I believe it will all be worth it once it comes time to cofigure hundreds of Oracle clients. Also, since OID is an LDAP directory it will have many other uses as well. Its too bad that Oracle couldn't have put together clear documentation on installing and using it but that's nothing new.

Greg Nelson
gnelson_at_banknorth.com <mailto:gnelson_at_banknorth.com>

Author: Nelson, Greg
  INET: GNelson_at_banknorth.com