RE: Oracle's Updates Subscription Service

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:08:33 -0800

Well
Ross, Our campus is out in the country (just about everywhere in Montana is out in the country) and we are, indeed, surrounded by docile ruminants. I'd like to say that during our off-time we go out and gaze lovingly at their udders, but there are other things we prefer to gaze at lovingly.
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>
Of
course, we have no problems doing online dairy backups around here. :>)
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>
We use
MySQL here and yes it's tunable. There's even word out on the street that soon MySQL may support the concept of a transaction. What a concept.
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>
MySQL
has its place, but it's causing us no end of pain here. It doesn't scale well enough to support what we're doing. That's why we're painfully biting the bullet and paying the big bucks for Oracle.
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>
--Walt
Weaver

Bozeman, Montana, USA
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>
<SPAN

class=729564917-28022001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Mohan, Ross   [mailto:MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com]Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001   8:51 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Oracle's Updates Subscription Service   Walt, you have just shattered my picture of you as a gentle   man surrounded by docile ruminants, never uddering a   discouraging word.
  Yes, it's amazing, the price of the software. My line to   folks is: "For your money, Oracle is the best   database...if it were my money, it would be almost   anything but.."
  MySQL *is* tunable.....could be fun....   -----Original Message----- From:
  Weaver, Walt [<A
  href="mailto:wweaver_at_rightnow.com">mailto:wweaver_at_rightnow.com]   Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 10:21 AM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: Oracle's Updates Subscription Service   Say, is it just me or has the cost of the Updates Subscription   Service gone up considerably in the past six months or   so?
  We're currently pricing out what it'll cost us to purchase   8.1.7 Standard Edition and the numbers we're getting   are a heck of a lot higher than they were in   November.
  Has the cost of CD-ROM's gone up that much? Is the economy now   in an inflationary period? Where's Allen Greenspan   when you need him?
  Whatever happened to those hazy, golden, halcyon days when   upgrades were included in product support?   Sometimes, Oracle just sucks. I'm seriously considering   getting on track for a MySQL
  certification.   :>)
  --Walt Weaver   Bozeman, Montana,
  USA -- Please see the official
  ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com"   target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com --   Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com
  Fat City Network Services    -- (858)   538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,   California        -- Public Internet access   / Mailing Lists <FONT

  To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail   message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling   of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line   containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing   list you want to be removed from).  You may also   send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 28 2001 - 13:08:33 CST