Re: Table Storage Estimates

From: Sanjay Kumar <ora_user_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:57:38 -0800

Thanks all for the solution. I too thought of having a 1 : 1 relationship by separating the long raw column from the table. But I believe I am not permitted to do that (Strange!!!!). Since this is a third party product, I am not suppose to change any of the design issues and also the datatype.

I believe row chaining is obvious in this situation. Also the average row length is 10M. The size of the database block size is 8.

When I queried the dba_extents to find the number of blocks that have been occupied, it showed 16620 and the number of rows are 113.

I am totally confused now. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sanjay

Your estimate comes to around 1 row per block. What is the average row lenght once data is in the db ? Do you have row chaining ?

What is your block size ? Can you increase it ?

If a lot of queries do not need the long raw column you can put it in another table with a 1 to 1 relationship with the parent table.

If your planning to have 200 rows of 1 block each, I do not understand why you are adding datafiles as the data should not occupied more than 3200K if you blocksize is 16K. Increase the size of the initial datafile instead of adding new ones.

Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?